Don’t let Eeyore be your PNW Fall spirit animal!
Moving into fall can be a very challenging time for the people of the Pacific Northwest, where the weather sets records daily for the most rainfall inside of my soul. I am from here and you’d think that I would be used to this by now, but I am not. I, like many others, suffer from a need to see sunshine on a semi-regular basis.
There are some, who would like to believe themselves immune to the effects of a life in monotone, but they are delusional. They are just in denial of the fact that they are sadder, more lethargic, drinking more alcohol, and spending way more time indoors than usual. They refuse to believe and so they shop at REI, where they can pick up every waterproofed item necessary to venture out and “enjoy” the outdoors in the Land of Soggy Trees.
I am not in denial. I know that this is about to be very hard for me and many others. I think we may fare better if we plan for the Drearyland experience and are prepared to fight off Gray days with YAY days! I will deck up my halls with festive cheer and embrace this season. I will watch so many sports, and I will go to the gym after waking up every morning to my sunrise Sunshine lamp. I will make it through this, and so will you. In an attempt to help us all out I’ve created a list of things that one can do to help make it through to next July 5th when we will see the sun again. These are my personal experiences from a lifetime of living here. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them. Good luck to you and I hope that we see each other in the coming months!
1.Take supplements: I am taking Vitamin D, fish oil, magnesium, multivitamin, and a probiotic. I don’t particularly remember why I decided to take these. I am sure it has something to do with something somebody told me or I read it in a magazine somewhere. I do know that this combo works well for me because when I stop taking them it’s worse. I am sure everyone is different in their needs, but do at least try to help yourself along with some vitamin D! #vitamindforlife #takeyourvitamins #shoplocaldrugstores #thatdoesntmeanpotdispensaries #althoughthatcanhelptoo
- The Bright AF Lights*. Purchase a tiny box filled with old tanning bed lights so that you can sit next to it and have it shoot laser sunbeams straight into the sides of your eyeballs multiple times a day as a method of getting the vitamin D that your body needs. This works, I have one. Apparently, Bright AF Lights directed straight at your eyeball makes you feel more awake. #Science.
- The #HFL or Healthy Fitness lifestyle involves exercising and eating for mental health and so that when the spring comes and you take off the sweater that you are not upset with yourself. Also, excessive drinking of alcohol equals an excessive need for cardio. If you are going to drink like that during this time of year, then you must sweat it out and rehydrate. Otherwise, you will find yourself putting on unnecessary weight and your skin will look awful. #earnthosecalories #cardioworkoutsmatter
- Be social. We need to be around people in a healthy, happy and relaxed manner so instead of always waiting around for invites and then sometimes turning them down because you don’t like the restaurant or the bar or the other person who’s coming, host them at your house. Build your social calendar through the holidays early on with dinners, game nights, watching sports together and enjoy the company you’d like with the food that you eat and with the drinks that you prefer. Even though you have to go out through the cold and wet to get there, it’s worth it in the end when you see those smiling faces of your friends! #gather #community
- Do the fun things. It’s easy to say “no” when it’s nasty outside or you haven’t been feeling your best, but this time of year is filled with tons of fun events that require lots of silly kinds of activities and games which put most of us out of our comfort zones. Say “yes” and try something new! Go and dress up! Wear that costume, dress to the nines for that holiday affair, wear bells on your shoes, let loose and make merry. Create memories and give yourself something to look forward to the next time this season comes around. People miss you and they want to hang out with you, you should call them and set something up. #fucktheseattlefreeze #trynewstuff #fallfun #tistheseason #takebacktheholidays
- Find Gratitude. It gets busy and we stretch ourselves and our wallets very thin sometimes. That can sometimes leave you feeling less than grateful for obligations in your life directly related to loved ones and less than enthused to participate. That doesn’t feel very nice. A life’s work is hard and finances are stressful no doubt, but the only answer I have found to ease this pain is gratitude. When I feel those frusterating, sad and lonely emotions come on I engage Full Gratitude mode. Focus and focus hard on that in your life for which you are most grateful and I guarantee you that it will bring upon you a wave of happiness. When you can live in a space of gratitude you will take that feeling into your days and it will create an intention inside of you to pass that feeling along to others. There will be no withholding, no selfishness and this is better than any vitamin or Bright AF light. #liveingratitude #bevulnerable
I hope this helps. I would love to hear your tricks and tips to make it through the gloom that isn’t relocating to a sunnier locale, lol.
Best of luck to you and yours in the coming season. #Liveyourbestlife
Peace and Love,
*”Bright AF Lights” are not a brand that can be purchased.